How can I get access to Wharton Research Data Services (WRDS)?
Wharton Research Data Services (WRDS) is a system designed to give researchers access to a range of financial databases (such as CRSP, Compustat and LSPD) though a common interface with integrated support.
In order to gain access to WRDS you will need a valid username and password. Some taught modules provide students with a 'class account' (such as Current Issues in Empirical Finance). However, most UG, MSc students, PhD students and academic staff will need to apply for their own individual username and password.
Duo 2-factor authentication
WRDS is upgrading account security by utilising Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) by Duo Security. Duo is recognised as an industry standard and is designed to be a simple and secure method for enhancing security. You will likely be familiar with it for accessing other University of Manchester services.
From 5 December 2022, all individual WRDS web users will be required to register with Duo in order to log in. See the following support provided by WRDS:
Requesting a WRDS account (students)
In order to receive your own username and password, please complete the following steps.
- Go to WRDS start page.
- Under the login boxes on the left-hand side of the page, click on the link to ‘Register for a WRDS Account’.
- Fill in the form, using the information given in the section below called ‘The details to include’ to guide you.
- After you submit the form, an email will be sent to library admin staff who will activate your account, usually within 24 hours.
- You will receive an email explaining that your account has been activated. It will include a default password that you can change.
The details to include:
‘Institution’: ‘University of Manchester’
- ‘Affiliation With Institution’: ‘Masters / Undergraduate Student’ or ‘Ph.D.’
- ‘First Name’: your first name
- ‘Last Name’: your last name
- ‘Email’: must be your University email address
- ‘Department’: your school and division name
- ‘Desired Username’: University username is recommended
- ‘When Do You Expect Your Degree?’: End date from your library card
Creating a WRDS account (staff)
Follow the steps as above except, when filling in the WRDS registration form, state your ‘Affiliation With Institution’ as ‘Faculty’ or ‘Staff (IT/Librarian)’ or ‘Research Assistant’. If you select ‘Research Assistant’, more fields will appear, so please also provide the name and email address of your supervisor.
Lecturers and professors should select ‘Faculty’; Library, IT and other PS staff should choose ‘Staff’.
You can create class accounts using your email address, and for 'Affiliation With Institution' select 'Class'.